8.25.2013

Living It

I was blessed to be able to get away for the weekend and go on a silent retreat.  I haven't been on a retreat since our engaged encounter weekend, BEFORE we were married! You can bet I'm planning on making this a yearly event!!  I came away with so much inspiration to know my faith better, especially through reading scripture.  It was such a gift and I'm grateful to TJ for holding down the fort at home! 
The amazing priest who gave the retreat, Father Courtney, spoke a lot about Blessed Theresa of Calcutta and her amazing work with the poor, homeless, dying.  She LIVED the gospel, every word of it.  She truly was Jesus here on earth.  She did things no one else would do.  She touched people no one else would touch.  He said something that struck me, "ask a homeless person their name, because no one ever does.  That will get them to smile."  How often do I walk right past the people holding signs on the corner downtown?
Oddly enough we went downtown tonight for dinner.  Earlier I had told the kids what Father said about asking a homeless person their name.  After ordering I took Pete outside to walk around the block while we waited for the food to arrive.  And sure enough, there was a homeless man sitting at the corner holding his sign requesting money for food.  So I did it.  I walked up to him, stuck out my hand and said "hello sir, what's your name?"  As he shook my hand he said "Duane", and then smiled.
When I got back to the table I quietly told Thomas what I had done.  He said that he saw him there too and thought of what I had said.  So I told him to go.  Go shake his hand and ask him his name.  I was so proud of Thomas for living the gospel, even if only in a small way. 

No comments: