4.25.2013

First Holy Communion Reception

For months I have been thinking over and planning how to decorate for First Holy Communion this year.  It truly brings me joy to pull food, and decor together to make a lovely celebration.  This one began with a color...yellow.  Earlier this year, my good friend had mentioned how she was going with the yellow and white papal flag as inspiration for decorating for a teacher luncheon.  Perfect for the Year of Faith.
   
 
 Being as I have a third grader this year, its our classes responsibility for putting together the reception after Holy Communion.  I of course, decided right away that I wanted to make the 350 cupcakes as opposed to ordering a sheet cake.  Honestly, I don't know why I do this.  People ask me why do I feel the need to bake and frost hundreds of cupcakes...wouldn't it just be easier to order a cake?  Yes.  But I truly enjoy the challenge of mass baking.  And really, it's fun when you have good friends to help you!  Plus, I LOVE this lemon cake recipe I found.  It's so lemony and yellow!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was so happy with the way we were able to transform a cold basement into a beautiful place for celebrating!  Someone told a friend of mine that she thought it was "simple and beautiful... reflective of St. Therese."
  Mission accomplished.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Oh, and I love how the jars turned out.  Some had pictures of the children in them, others had yellow hearts dangling from the top. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We made these "to go" boxes for the Sisters and Priests.  They don't really get to sit down and grab something to eat, so we put a cupcake and nuts inside for them!
 
 
 
 
 
 I ordered simple rosary cases for the children as their gifts and found this cute wrapping idea on pinterest.
 
 
And to top off the beautiful day, my goddaughter Lucia made her first Holy Communion!

5 comments:

Renee said...

Kristi,
everything looks so beautiful, I wish I could have seen it in person.
Thank YOU and Kim and Laurie and Lucy and Jen and everyone else who made it such a lovely day for the second-graders.

The yellow forsythia was the perfect bold touch to all the other yellow decorations. How did you make the pennant?

You just gave me a renewed energy to pull off our reception on Sunday. I'm using white polka dots as the starting point.

Staci said...

What a great layout for that huge room! I love how you set up the tables. I have to remember that for any future receptions I may help with. It breaks it up and makes it look so much homier. LOVE it! Nice work, and thank you for all of it!

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether or
not this submit is written via him as no one else know such precise about my trouble.
You're wonderful! Thanks!

Stop by my blog - ford ranger forum

Anonymous said...

I have learn several excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how a lot effort you put to make this sort of
fantastic informative web site.

Here is my webpage: diet plans for women

Anonymous said...

This website really has all of the info I wanted about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Review my web-site; ranger forum