8.29.2012

And Here We Go Again

 
 
The night before the first day of school is here again.  In an attempt to ease any back to school jitters, I like to make the night before a calm, fun and enjoyable evening both for the kids, but especially for me. It doesn't usually end up this way mind you, but I sure like to shoot for that!   I'm fully aware that with tomorrow comes the schedules, homework, stricter bedtimes, packing lunches, and school activities.  Plus, this year George will be going to Kindergarten three days a week.  I looked at him differently today, coming to the realization that his life will forever be changed tomorrow.  Tomorrow he will be a "school kid."  
 
 
 We went for our annual "night before school family walk" which entails bikes, wagon, helmets, stroller, and all of us going for a walk around the neighborhood.  I try and not initiate conversation as we walk.  I have to hold my toung as I am tempted to ask for the one hundredth time "are you excited for tomorrow?"  I just watch them and listen,  a silent memory making for myself, trying to remember this night before the big day. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 We came home and headed to the backyard for a fire, smores and a story.  We've been telling progressive stories by the fire lately and Annie just loves it.  I'll start with "Once Upon A Time"...and go on to come up with some sort of creative concoction of a story and just at it's climax I point to Annie where she gets to take it from there until she points to someone else.  It's fun!
 
 
 
 
 
 
The first morning of school is always crazy, I don't care how much I plan ahead and lay out.  It was a good morning nonetheless.  I got up and went for a short run and ended at the Pink Sisters so Thomas could ride his bike there and we could start off the new school year with going to confession.  Such a great tradition for us and it truly is a wonderful way to begin something new.  Thomas pretty much takes control of breakfast in our house and so we all started off with scrambled eggs.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 George did so great.  I really had no idea what to expect with him.  He's never been away from me or been in any organized activity yet.  But, he was so excited to get dressed, put his backpack on, and wear his new shoes and ready to get out of Sherman and find his spot to stand.  And just like that, he walked right on into school, by himself, no tears, just ready to go.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Staci said...

It kills me that you have a kid who gets up, dressed, and makes a hot breakfast for the family in time to eat before school. I'm in awe. My kis are doing so much better this year at getting up and around, but there's still ALWAYS a "quick! finish eating before you need to fast!" rush. And that's just with cheerios and bananas. I need a Thomas around here.