5.21.2012

Three Weeks


It's three weeks until we move.  Three weeks to savor the lasts....
the last time baking bread on my kitchen counter, the last morning sitting on the front porch reading my favorite books, the last walk around the boulevard, the last bath in our tub, the last dinner made in our kitchen, the last picture taken out by the flowers on our front porch, the last rock in the rocking chairs watching the kids ride their bikes, the last walk down to the park, the last run through the streets in our neighborhood, the last family movie night in our basement, the last early morning Sunday pie...   So many lasts.


I know how to clean every inch of this house.  I know how to close the front door so quietly as not to wake anyone up early in the morning as I slip out to run.  I know where the squeaky spots are on the floor upstairs and how to avoid them in the early morning hours.  I know what time of day and where the sun will be shining in from the windows to take the best pictures.  I know how to pull the back door shut so tight or else it will fly open even on the slightest windy day.  I know not to panic when the wind does blow in the middle of the night.  It just SOUNDS like our bedroom is going to break away from the house.  I know that there will be wasp nests in our shutters on the front porch.  I know just how far to pull Sherman into the garage, how to leave the bathroom light on at night for those who will be getting up to use it later, how to turn the fan on in the bathroom as background noise to help Evelyn fall asleep.  I know every inch of our kitchen floor because I've wiped that sucker down fifty thousand times after many many dinners. 










We have so many good memories from the five years that we have lived here.  But now I'm ready to make new memories starting in our new house!  I can't wait to figure out where everything will go, which furniture goes where, what room will be used for what, who will sleep where, organize my kitchen, explore the yard and see what is growing, and find a home for ALL our stuff. 



4 comments:

Smiler #1 said...

Good thing you're taking your memory-makers along with you. ;) Enjoy your time! I'm so excited for your family to continue your adventures at a new home!

Renee said...

Oh Kristi,
I'm feeling the same way, I even thought the "I know how to clean every inch of this house" thought. I too, am excited to start fresh, but saddened that we're losing the place where we became a family.

Laura said...

I'm going to miss our bedroom in the basement! Can't wait to see the new house and how you make it yours with all our creative decorations.
I can't believe how much Pete is looking like TJ!

Laura said...

I'm going to miss our bedroom in the basement! Can't wait to see the new house and how you make it yours with all our creative decorations.
I can't believe how much Pete is looking like TJ!