4.26.2012

My Lord and My God


Congratulations Annie on one of the most important days of your life.  The day you received Jesus for the first time in Holy Communion. 


As I was watching you dress and get ready, my thoughts were consumed in awe of you.  How can you be here already?  How is it possible that you are old enough to be receiving this sacrament?  Wasn't I just cradling you in my arms?  It seems like yesterday that I took both you and your two year old brother to mass at St. Peter's.  I had just finished nursing you in the pew, and was getting ready to walk up to Holy Communion.  I had my newborn baby in one arm and Thomas' hand in the other.  All was well until Thomas broke free and RAN up the communion line, right past Father, and  up onto the altar, only to begin ringing the bells.  Loudly.  Over and over.  I was mortified.  I'm no longer carrying you and Thomas or holding your hands as we all walk up and receive Communion together now.


 

 In the few quiet seconds after the priest has just consecrated the host which now has instantly turned from bread, to the body of Christ, I have always closed my eyes and said, thank you Jesus, my Lord and my God.  Those were the words of St. Thomas, known as doubting Thomas, who would not believe that the Lord had risen unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.  John 21:25. When Jesus appeared to him He said, put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.  Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and My God."  Jesus said to him, " have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.  John 21:27-29. 
 

We are the blessed ones as Jesus says, because we have not seen Him, but we still believe.  We believe that what looks like bread and tastes like bread is truly the body of Christ.  That the moment the priest says the words, this is my body, this is my blood.... what was once bread is now Jesus.  Completely.

And that can be hard to understand.  Yet here we have these eight year old children who believe it with their whole heart.  You believe Annie, without seeing. 
And that is beautiful. 


 

 

(Photo courtesy of Kevin Clark and Aubrey Potter)

 

(photo courtesy of Kevin Clark and Aubrey Potter)

(photo courtesy of Kevin Clark and Aubrey Potter)

(photo courtesy of Kevin Clark and Aubrey Potter)



 

 

 

 

 




 

5 comments:

Staci said...

You say it all so eloquently, Kristi! I'm actually crying at my computer at the beauty and miraculousness of it all! (Also at the story of Thomas and the bells, which I love :).

Smiler #1 said...

God bless her beautiful little heart! Congratulations on bringing up another in the ranks. :)

Kari Lee said...

Congratulations to Annie!!! She looks absolutely beautiful. Eli receives his on the 5th - he can't wait. :)

Renee said...

Beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Annie! Kristi, I don't remember if I told you or not, but I realized recently that we were in the same First Communion class at Blessed Sacrament! How crazy is that!