3.04.2012

Days at Home

Our life is slowly going by, very fast.  If that makes any sense at all.
Every day is the same thing over and over again.  And then it all begins again the next day.  I nurse a little boy, run or work out, shower and get dressed, eat, help children get off to school, eat, clean up after meals, check email, do laundry, read books like Green Eggs and Ham one hundred times (it appears to be the newest favorite), eat, change diapers, pray a rosary, vacuum the floor, unload the dishwasher, give newborn baths complete with lathering them up with lotion, eat, go over spelling words, go through backpacks, eat, clean the kitchen, fold laundry, and eat some more.
My days do not consist of doing much, yet I'm doing something ALL the time.  'Tis the season of my life right now, I guess.  I'm never bored being at home though, there is always someone who needs my attention, or home caring tasks that need to be accomplished.  My life is always a balance between just being, sitting back and watching and enjoying my children, and then doing the tasks that need to be done.  And right now with having Pete here, a squishy almost two month old baby...is just so sweet.  The comment that I hear the most is from people who say to me "it goes to fast doesn't it?"  Meaning the littleness of babies.  Yes, it does go by awfully fast.  Yes my children are growing at rapid rates but I guess they are supposed to.  
My sister and her two boys were here with us for two days this weekend.  Her almost two year old is one who likes to go...and go..and go.  He can also hold his own in the screaming department.  If he happens to escape outside he will be running down the street in a matter of seconds.  Needless to say, she is at the stage where taking an energetic almost two year old and a five month old baby out is nearly impossible.  It's frustrating, yes I know.  I can see it in her face when I am with her.  But I tried to encourage her by letting her know that it is just a phase.  Soon he will be listening and obeying and staying by her side.  The kicker is that just as this is happening, the second child will be starting some phase of his own, probably a screaming one.  Our life as parents is continually moving in and out of phases with our children.  We struggle with one and resolve it just in time for another child to begin something irritating, frustrating, and annoying.  The two of us tried to take all seven children out to lunch just for fun on Saturday at noon at the mall.  WHAT WERE WE THINKING?   Kids running everywhere, some screaming, some sleeping in their car seats thank goodness, and every restaurant was packed.  We looked at each other as only a parent can do and surrendered our white flags.  We opted for take out, a wonderful option.  We just laughed with each other which changed our exhausted, frustrated faces.  It is hard with small children.  There is no way around it.  I love my sister and think she is doing a fabulous job parenting her two boys.  I'm now getting to that stage in parenting where I look at a mother who is struggling and just want to hug her and tell her that this phase too, shall pass.  And it's okay if we aren't enjoying them all the time.  That doesn't make you a bad mother.  It makes you a REAL mother.  Sometimes days are just plain hard and the only thing I can look forward to is bedtime.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy and love my children.  I love them dearly.  My challenge is to get up the next day and make it better than the one before.  Some days I can, other days I simply can't.  It's a battle we mothers fight every day.
     

















No comments: