10.05.2011

A Lovely Fall Treat

Oh, how I love fall.  I can't think of a single person who doesn't love this time of year.  The vibrant colors both outside and in, warm and yummy smells from apple cider candles burning to something baking in the oven, cool, crisp air, and football announcer voices setting the tone for the background noise throughout our home, all make for one heck of a beautiful season.

One of my favorite things to do on an early Saturday morning is sit downstairs on the couch with a good cup of coffee in my hands and flip through cookbooks.  Not just any cookbooks, but ones that intrigue my senses with beautiful pictures and words.This is one of my favorites that I pull out this time of year and read over and over.

This particular morning, TJ had just left to go for a run with Thomas following him on his bike. As I was flipping through her book, I stumbled upon this little beauty, and even better...I had all the ingredients.  As I got up to make a pumpkin latte, I thought wouldn't it be fun to surprise TJ and Thomas with a fancy little fall brunch when they got back.  So the kids and I set to work, which was really no work at all since I had all the ingredients for both the scones and pumpkin latte.  George thought I was funny as I was scurrying about the kitchen tyring to work fast so they would be all done when the boys got home!

Pumpkin latte.  So very good.




And to top them off you drizzle an orange glaze over the top.  YUM!


Right as we were finishing up in the kitchen, the boys called from TJ's parents house where they had stopped.  So we invited Tom and Tonja to come over for our little impromptu fall brunch!





I love how Tom has his napkin tucked into his shirt pocket!



For as much as I love this time of year, I also dread it.  It's the sickness.  This is the time when we seem to catch whatever is going around which usually involves the stomach flu.

I. Hate. It. 

I realize that no one enjoys being sick or watching their little ones not feel well, but I get very anxious about it.  I will say that over the years of my parenting, I have gotten a little better dealing with them being sick, but I still have a long way to go.  The anxiety of someone being sick hovers over me all through the fall and winter.  I dread the wondering of when we'll get it more than the actual sickness itself.

Annie broke me in right on schedule.  October 2nd, the very beginning of fall, she was sick.  Oh well, here we go....

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

What a lovely morning! I love those moments of quiet too...and I LOVE sifting through cookbooks. There's just something peaceful and hopeful about it. Does that sound weird? ;)

I also get wary about flu season as well. Praying for a healthy family for you!

fullofgracex7 said...

It should come as no surprise to me that all that you've described makes me just warm and happy. I've already thought, "how can I just bottle this up and save it for a time when I just really need that fall comfort?" I hope that autumn lingers just a little longer this year!