2.07.2011

Candlemas

How Candlemas Got Its Name 
Following Jewish tradition, on the fortieth day after a woman gave birth she would go to the Temple to present her child to the Lord.  Candlemas Day was the day -February 2nd- that the Holy Family visited the Temple in Jerusalem with the newborn Christ Child.  A prophet named Simeon saw Jesus there and declared the baby to be "the light of the world."  Hence, it became traditional to bless the liturgical candles that would be used throughout the year. - Sarah Ban Breathnach

I love this feast of the Presentation/Candlemas.  It's not a huge celebration, but one that I can relate to.  I can picture Joseph and Mary bringing their baby Jesus into the temple.  They see and meet an old man who politely grabs their child in his arms, and once holding him declares with great confidence, that this is the one whom he has been waiting for, the one who will be the light of the world.  He can now die in peace, for he has seen the salvation of the world.

This past Tuesday, Candlemas day, we awoke to see our little corner of the world covered in ice. 

I had hoped that we would bring all of our candles to Mass and then have Msgr. bless them.  But since we had a snow day and there was no school, We were able to stay warm and cozy inside.


We celebrated Candlemas by making puff pastry hearts for snack.  The kids thought it was super cool that they were using puff pastry.  I built it up saying that this is what they use in French bakeries....

puffing.....

I had been thinking for a while now, of a special way to remember to pray for our godchildren.  Lindsay gave me the idea of printing out their names and then lighting a simple votive candle for them each day.  Perfect.  Perfect to begin on Candlemas day.

I decided to add another one for the people that I wanted to remember in prayer each month.  There are birthdays, anniversaries of deaths, people who are sick, special events happening during the month, that I wanted to make sure I was remembering to pray for. 

And that evening, we ate dinner and read by candlelight.  It was a lovely way to end a beautiful feast. 

3 comments:

Kari Lee said...

I LOVE the idea of monthly prayer lists in a frame with a lit candle!!! We'll see if I can get that done this month. Thank you!

Kari Lee said...

and what book did you have on your lap that had the Candlemass prayer at the top?? Is that a book of feast days??

Aubrey said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I knew that Candlemas had to do with the Presentation of Christ, but I didn't know its origins. Thanks! Looks like you had a BEAUTIFUL day.