12.17.2010

Time for a Change

I think my favorite words of TJ's are when he says, honey I've got an idea.....

He said them last weekend, which got me excited!! He has such a gift for visualizing. He has always enjoyed moving things around in our houses and he's good at it. I think it's one of my favorite things that we do together, rearrange our house. We both have ideas, and we both listen to one another. He is so patient and will usually try whatever I ask him to! And he doesn't yell when I ask him to take down the pictures we've just hung, fill the holes, paint and then make new holes in the walls......

It all started because he was feeling like we needed more places to sit in our family room. He started big with the idea of knocking out a wall and putting in hard wood floor....but instead of jumping into a HUGE project, he decided we could move things around first. Our table was taking up a lot of space, space that would be better used for comfy chairs instead of a table, especially since we're eating most of our meals at our center island in the kitchen. So, we moved our office desk downstairs to what was the toy room, and then moved our table into what used to be the office.


The best part of this whole rearrange thing was that I got to clean places that hadn't been cleaned in years. You know the areas that can never be reached, corners behind the desk, all the computer parts, under toy boxes, inside cabinets, on top of mirrors and pictures. That makes me happy. I dusted EVERYTHING. I went through all the toys and kept only what we use or that has sentimental value.
It's a fun challenge to use the objects that you already have in your home to decorate with. Simply by taking things off walls and moving them or putting a piece of furniture in a different room can make you feel like you have something new, when really you've had it all along. We were able to buy a few things like a couple rugs, a mirror, a new duvet cover, and a beautiful Last Supper picture.



What used to be the toy room, is now the computer room/guest bedroom for Laura and Jarod and Andrew.

I'm very grateful for all that we have. I'm even more grateful for a husband who is willing to change things up a bit and give me fun things to look forward to, like rearranging the furniture.

And on another note, poor Evie has had a bad cough this week and hasn't felt very well which means she gets candy canes for breakfast!


And I found these on the table. Stacked just like this. I shouldn't have left the bag out.....at least he only eats the middle or that would have been a lot of cookies for a three year old to eat.

8 comments:

fullofgracex7 said...

Love the new arrangements...and the ski mask that Evie has on...and you know I can totally identify with the cookies! LOL

Lindsay said...

Everything looks lovely!

Laura said...

Thanks for leaving the bed for us!

Smiler #1 said...

Beautiful & cozy. I think you'd make Martha jealous. ;)

Jenn said...

Can you come and do my new home...seriously??? How much would you charge?!?! :)

sogladimhere said...

Fun! Now you need to have a big party with your huge living room. ;)

HangerMom said...

I was thinking just what Renee said - what a fantastic space for entertaining! I love it.

Aubrey said...

It looks GREAT! It looks AWESOME! What a beautiful living area! Wow! I love to rearrange the furniture. My husband is not so receptive to the idea, so I have to rearrange it, then show him how well it'll work before he likes it. ;) It really does make the home feel new, just to move things around--furniture and wall hangings--and have new space! I also love the opportunity to clean beneath, behind, and inside things that aren't easily reached. It makes the home feel new again!