10.04.2010

open-faced designer apple pie

Oh lovely pie, I missed you. I haven't been able to bake a pie for the last two Sunday's. I was ready this morning! The day before, I had gotten this from the library.....
The Pie and Pastry Bible. Oh my. There are so many yummy pies that I want to try making. I spent a good chunk of time yesterday just looking through and drooling over the recipes. It's huge.
Then I came across this one and thought it looked so pretty. I'm so very in the mood for fall and all that comes with this lovely season. Apples, pumpkins, soups, candles, leaves, blue skies, orange and brown, and cider. I've kind of had roses on my mind these past few days from planning for the Feast of St. Therese, so......
I tried this open faced apple pie, that looks like........ a rose, of course!
So, I'm down in the kitchen at ten till six and started with the pie crust and making these pretty little leaves for the edge.

Then peeled twelve apples.

Look, it's I Spy! I spy two lemons, a leaf cookie cutter, a measuring spoon, a rolling pin handle and apple seeds. Can you?
This apple pie was a bit different from my standard one. There are a lot more steps, a lot more chilling of crusts, a lot more letting the apples macerate....it took me about 4 hours all together! This is the juice from the apples all saturated with lemon, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. You boil it down with butter, of course, until you get a thick sauce that gets poured back over the apples.

This was fun. By this point all the kids were up and roaming around. Annie was in the kitchen with me wanting to help. I started placing each apple one by one around and around the pie crust. Next time I make it, I think I will layer the bottom with apples first, then make the spiral so that the filling is higher.

And here it is after it came out of the oven. But wait, we're not done....next you boil apricot preserves and then brush it over the apples. It was a treat to make and a perfect beginning to fall!

3 comments:

fullofgracex7 said...

You are AMAZING! That should be at the bazaar pie booth with a big price tag on it just because it looks so darn pretty!

Laura said...

Wow! I'm impressed!

HangerMom said...

Janel is onto something - you should totally do an auction item of a pie a month or something, and post some photos with it of the pies you've created in the past. I bet you could make some money for the parish!