10.24.2010

Deep-Dish Blueberry/Cranberry Internet Pie

This Sunday's pie was really good. Really, really, good. Cranberries and blueberries together. This recipe is from my new favorite book, The Pie and Pastry Bible. The author found this recipe from a cousin of hers and after a little research, they discovered that it was the first pie to appear on the Internet. Cool. It was created by Sarah Leah Chase.

I had some new help in the kitchen this morning. Andrew was here. He kept me company while his mommy slept for a little bit.


I think this is the most beautiful pie, ever. I've decided to make it on the 4th of July next year in honor of the brilliant red and blue colors! However, this truly is a fall pie for me. Cranberries are new to me, and boy have I fallen in love with them. Their color, their tartness....everything.
Especially when mixed with orange or lemon.

Once the berries were mixed, they needed to sit for 30 minutes. It was the perfect time for Thomas, Annie and I to head outside and enjoy the cool, crisp fall morning. The moon was still out!




Bundled up a bit, and with coffee in hand, we strolled around the boulevard. It's at these times when I am extremely grateful for where we live.





Annie wanted to play a game. The rules were that we could only walk on the black lines in the street as we made our way around the blvd, and that I had to follow her. I'm sure we looked funny wiggling along the street, me following closely behind her, but who cares. We had fun. I realize that during the week, it's harder for me to just play with them. Juggling housework, homework, meal prep and clean up, and commitments, the day can just fly by so quickly. I'm challenging myself to really just be with them on Sundays.


Then we came back inside. The filling had gotten super thick. I plopped it into the shell and baked it. I wish you all could smell our house as it was baking. It's a wonderful lemony-tart-remind-you-of-fall kind of smell.

In honor of the season, I decided to cover the top with leaves.
There is something so magical about Sundays. All these little things that we do, combined together, make the perfect day. Waking up early, fumbling around in the dark kitchen to bake a pie, coffee brewing in the coffee pot while my chocolate creamer is waiting to be mixed with it, children and husband wandering downstairs with the markings of a good sleep, letting the kids help in the kitchen, newspaper reading, sunrise shining in the windows, going to mass together as a family, seeing good friends afterwards and chatting with them, napping in the afternoon, reading a book in the middle of the day (that never happens for me during the week), playing with the kids outside, going for walks or bike rides with them, making a nice dinner or having family over to share it with us.....all of this is so good. It a slower paced day, and it's lovely.

Deep-Dish Blueberry/Cranberry Pie:

pie crust
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
zest of one lemon
3 TBS lemon juice
a pinch of salt
2 pkg frozen blueberries
3 1/2 cups fresh cranberries


In a large nonreactive pan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Add the blueberries (frozen) and cranberries and toss to coat them well. Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes or until a little liquid starts to form. Cook the berries over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thickened and some to the berries are just beginning to burst, about 8 minutes after it comes to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely without stirring, about 1 hour. Transfer the berry mixture to the pie shell. Roll out the top shell and place over the pie. Seal it, and press down the edges. Brush the top with water and then stick leaf cut outs on it. Sprinkle with sugar. Make a steam vent in the center. Bake at 375 degrees on the bottom of the oven for 40 minutes. Transfer to upper rack and bake 25 more minutes. Pie is best served a day later so it won't be so juicy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating blog! Is youг theme cuѕtom made or
diԁ you ԁownloаd іt from somewhere?
A thеme like yours with a feω simple tωeeks
would reаlly maκе mу blog stand οut.
Pleаse lеt mе κnоω wherе you got youг themе.
Βleѕs yоu

my ωeb-sіte where to buy green coffee bean extract