9.17.2010

oh joy!

After weeks of buying glass jars.....


At last! My fancy pantry! Full of these lovely glass jars. I told TJ last weekend that these jars make me happy. They do. They really make me happy. It's kind of like having a newborn....let me explain. When I bring a new baby home, I find myself purposely walking in front of the mirrors in our home so that I may glance at me holding the new squished up baby high on my shoulder....just to make sure they still look new. So with that said, I find myself wandering over to the kitchen, many times a day, and taking a quick glance at my jars. Yep, still there, still looking lovely.


We've been saving our wine corks ever since we've been married. That's a lot of bottles of wine, good thing its been nine years......









I've got....are you ready?

white flour, oats, white sugar, basmati rice, brown sugar, pancake mix, table salt, sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon, bread crumbs, seasoning salt, cajun spice, popcorn, dried beans, coffee beans, coffee grounds, wine corks, and pasta. Twenty-two jars in all.

I love my kitchen, I really do. I love my granite counter top and I smile when I think of how many pies, bread, and meals have been made and eaten at that counter. I have a pantry, a small closet really, that is FULL of food. That got me thinking....

One of the many characteristics I love about TJ is his willingness to take on pretty much any project, any time. So when I came to him last year asking for him to build me some shelves for the kitchen, and bookshelves for the family room....this is what he came up with.


He found CD shelves at ShopKo. They were that nasty orange color. So he sanded them all down, spray painted them black, cut some of them, and stacked two shelves on top of one another to make floor to ceiling shelves.....for me. I was thoroughly impressed.

So, until now, I had put mostly decorative things on the kitchen shelf, while my pantry was stuffed to the brim and overflowing. Then, an idea! Take some things out of the pantry and put them into jars on the shelf. Brilliant.

I have always admired kitchens where the cabinets are open and you can see the dishes inside. I'm also drawn to old farm kitchens from the 1800's. I took this picture from the Living History Farms in Des Monies, Iowa last summer. We got to go through a replica of a farm kitchen from long ago. I fell in love with it.





Thus, my inspiration for my open pantry shelves in my kitchen! Oh joy!

4 comments:

sogladimhere said...

These are the same jars William stores all his animal collections in...I, get this, ordered them from The Container Store, before I knew they were so readily available because I wanted them so badly. Organizing in glass jars is just fun. Love them! Wish I had room for them in my kitchen!

fullofgracex7 said...

Any guesses as to whether or not I just love your jars? Or the open shelving/cupboards. LOL!!! I can just picture you sneaking peeks at them throughout the day. :)

Kari Lee said...

very joyful! :) I have six and nothing in them yet...I'm still thinking. Who knew reading your blog would be a hit to our checking account...?
and what a wonderful hubby you have.

Kari Lee said...

wait - that's not true. One of them is half full of smarties.