8.22.2010

french silk pie

This Sunday's pie was french silk. I can't believe how incredibly easy this yummy, delicious pie was to make and that I've waited this long to make it.
I woke up and came downstairs to begin baking at 6:15. I think I will have to start earlier if I want to go at it alone...I had a visitor at 6:30. Someone is making it a habit of rising early these days.

Hint...he wears Packer jammies.
It turned out to be a nice surprise. I got to listen to just him, with his deep, raspy, morning voice. These are some things his little deep voice said...

is it pie time tonight?

wow mama, I like chocolate pie

someone said I could have sugar

hey, my hands are all sticky

I like cool lip





But now, back to the pie.
This past week I was at Lindsay's house and she asked me to show her how to make my pie crust. Like I've said before, I've made this crust about 1,000 times...it's the only crust I ever make. So I happily set out to show her step by step this very simple pie crust. We used her food processor. It turned out terrible. Worse than terrible. Wet, sticky, dense....nothing like I told her it would be. And what was worse it that I had no idea why. Shows you that I really have no idea what I'm doing most of the time, I just get lucky when things turn out. Anyways, it got me thinking about how comfortable I am in my kitchen, using my stuff.

So, here is my cast of characters, in order of appearance:

My trusty old Kitchen Aid mixer. When it dies, I will bury it in the backyard.
Without this coffee pot, I don't think I would look forward to mornings as much as I do.
My cheap rolling pin I got a Walmart. But I do love it!
The pie plate that we got for a wedding present. Until recently, it was the only pie plate that I owned. I've since bought a few glass ones, but none will ever compare to this one.

I know how my oven works. I can tell when something is done in it. See that yellow stain on the left...that is where smoke came pouring out when I auto cleaned the oven after a pie had boiled over and spilled all over the bottom. Smoke alarms repeatedly went off and the house was a smoky mess. The stain is permanent....a permanent reminder to always put a pan under my pie to catch the drippings.
My oven mitts. I always know where they are.
I think that we get so used to our kitchen, our appliances, and the way that we do things just so. It made me laugh because I watched Lindsay scoop out the flour with a one cup measuring cup, then take a knife and scrape off the excess flour so she has exactly one cup of flour. I just giggled at her because I am not a measurer for the most part. I just pour what looks like one tsp of salt into the palm of my hand and take a heaping scoop of flour from the bag. One is exact, the other is approximate...the end result is the same!
I would really enjoy watching others bake, I think. I'm sure I would learn a whole lot from the many talented women I know!



Relaxing on the couch after a morning of pie making. Annie and I read Amelia Bedlia together.
And our dessert for tonight. I got a this may be even better than the banana cream...
Yes! Success!
French Silk Pie
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 cups cool whip
2 eggs
Cream the butter and sugar. Add the melted chocolate squares. Add the eggs one at a time and beat each for five minutes after adding. Fold in the cool whip. Pour it into a pre baked pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

3 comments:

Kari Lee said...

okay, I'm definitely trying this one. But I have one request...can I have George baking in the kitchen with me in his packer jammies??
YUMMY!! (the pie and Georgie!!) :)

fullofgracex7 said...

I just love, love, love reading your blog. I love seeing pictures of your kids loving being your kids and loving having you as a most amazing and talented and loving mommy. I am so glad that you share. AND...I just love that George always wears the same thing. It makes my heart smile!!

HangerMom said...

That is crazy easy looking - I'm definitely trying that soon. I had it in my head that french silk would be hard... You learn something new every day :).

I adore your photos. Thanks for posting them, Kristi!