8.16.2010

chocolate banana cream pie

Yum. This was a good one. Chocolate banana cream pie....

Before starting this one pie a week venture, I had never made any pies other than....

apple
cherry
peach
blueberry
strawberry rhubarb
pumpkin
pecan

That was pretty much it. I'm so excited to be trying all new kinds and styles of pie, though it has been a humbling experience. After making an apple pie about one hundred times, I can say that I had gotten pretty good at it. Making one for the first time is a completely different story.

I love, love, love, baking in the early morning....


and I love, love, love my hand made apron from Janel to bake in.


Thank goodness it thickened! After my experience with the lemon meringue, well....I began to worry when it was not thickening. It did, I just needed to be patient!

For some reason, TJ loves to squirt whipped topping into our children's mouths. He does it every time he gets it out.



When we ate the pie, TJ went on and on about how much he loved it. Many yummy sounds were made, which makes me happy!


Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup whipping cream

3 egg yolks lightly beaten

1 TBS butter

2 tsp vanilla

1 baked crust

4 squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted

2 firm bananas sliced

chocolate shavings

In a saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened. Reduce heat, cook 2 minutes. Add a small amount of egg yolks, mix well. Return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in butter and vanilla. Pour half into the crust, cover and refrigerate. Add chocolate to remaining custard, mix well. cover and refrigerate for one hour. Arrange bananas over the filling. Carefully spoon chocolate custard over it all. Refrigerate it for two hours. Garnish with whipped topping and chocolate shavings.



4 comments:

fullofgracex7 said...

Just reading about it makes me happy...and hungry! :)

Laura said...

Ooooh, I think I might have to try this one sometime soon. Thanks for sharing. Give my niece and nephew a squeeze from me on their first day of school. Oh, and I am coming to town next weekend. I'll call you with details.

Kari Lee said...

yummy - I'm inspired to try it. I even bought a pie stone!! You're sweet Kristi!

HangerMom said...

That looks amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try it soon. And we do that thing with the ReadyWhip all the time. As soon as the kids see it, they're like little baby birds, mouths wide open. Hilarious!