7.14.2010

the gift of time and a pie

Our new tradition. Pie for Sunday dinner. Not only pie for dinner of course, but for dessert! I have really been wanting to make a pie every day. After much thought though, I decided that starting out making one a week may be a bit more realistic! We try and make Sunday a different, more special day than the rest of the week. Along with the real reason that Sunday is special (Sunday mass) the kids get to have a cup of coffee in the morning (I know, they like coffee....weird.) We only let them have one can of pop a week, and its on Sunday. Sunday is also our family movie night. They love this and always look forward to our movie together. So why not make dinner special too by having pie for dessert.

I woke up early last Sunday morning. With coffee in hand, I made a delicious, yummy pie. The house was quiet and peaceful. It was lovely. I had never made this one before, it was fun to try something new. It's called Marriage Pie.



blackberries and apricots.......yum-o.

Marriage Pie:
Single pie crust baked
1 cup sugar
4 TBS flour
2 cups fresh blackberries
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 TBS powdered sugar
8 fresh apricots, peeled, thinly sliced
whipped cream for top
1. Prepare the crust.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Add all of the blackberries and mash together. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the lemon juice.
3. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the bottom of the crust. Arrange the apricots over the sugar and pour blackberry mixture over the apricots. Chill for at least 2 hours. Just before serving put whipped cream on top.


We had our friends the Boevers over for dinner and served the Marriage Pie! It's my new favorite.
The older I get, the more I realize that the best gift I can receive is the gift of time. If you know me, (which you all do) you know how much I cherish our children. I love being with them, watching them learn, play,grow, explore. I love it. However, I also enjoy the moments when I get to be with just TJ or even by myself. My mom gave me this gift last night when she took Thomas and Annie for the afternoon and then to spend the night. TJ was gone, so it was just me, George and Evie. It's so weird when one or more of them is missing. There is an eerie quietness about the house. Thank you mom for that gift, and I know the kids had a super fun time.

It's always a treat when TJ's parents unexpectedly stop by and then leave with our children. They'll go to their house and have lunch, or take them to the store. It doesn't matter to them. They just love that they get to go with grammy and grandpa. Again, what a gift to TJ and I. Last week they did this. TJ and I both took a nap, then when Evie woke up, we sat on the couch and just watched her. Played with her. We looked at each other and really didn't know what to do with ourselves! It was a great gift to us- time to be together.

Thursday morning TJ was out of town, so I would not be able to meet Janel and Laurie for our run. Instead, they came to my house to run around the blvd! I was so excited to have them come over. With all this time I had on my hands last night, I thought I would make an egg bake and a pie so that after our run in the morning we could come in and have breakfast. Is there any better way to finish a work out than to sip coffee, eat a sausage and egg bake while finishing it off with a slice of....pie? I think not. I truly had fun baking, cleaning the house, getting everything prepared for the morning. However, looking back, I hope I didn't portray our home as perfect. I wanted both Janel and Laurie to know that although my house was clean and organized at that moment, it doesn't always look like this. I totally soaked up the fact that the three of us sat at my kitchen table, ate breakfast, talked while the house was quiet. George and Evie were asleep upstairs. I'm sure that when I am older and my children are out of the house, I will long for this time back. This time of holding, feeding, getting up, making 100 trips to the fridge, 100 trips to the faucet, washing sticky faces and hands, wondering if more food got on the floor than into their tummies.... These moments of good conversation, while eating and not moving are just bonuses!
I truly love to invite people into our home and make them feel important and comfortable. I do this through food. I love to have food and drinks ready for guests when they come over. My mother-in-law is a master at this. Her gift is welcoming people into her home. She always always has snacks set out for us when we come over. She always has her table set with a centerpiece, candles, and cloth napkins with pretty napkin rings. You can just hear the table calling you to come and sit down and enjoy a meal. I have learned so much about hospitality just from watching her. When guests come to stay at their house, she has a basket filled with bottled water, chocolates, lotions, ect. just waiting there by the bed looking all lovely.
This morning when my mom brought Thomas and Annie back home, I gave them each a big squeeze and said to them, "I'm so glad you are back home, I missed you. Want a piece of pie for breakfast?"




4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for being alive. I love the lens of life that we look through together!

Sandra said...

I'm so enjoying your blog!! :) I love cooking...love love love it. I tired to bake a pie once. I have never tried since. :( I can do cakes, breads, cheesecakes, even fudge maybe, but pie...it was a sad saga. How about we have you guys over for a meal and you bring pie? :)

The boys love coffee; I only like the foo foo coffee drinks but they will eat a fresh coffee bean...they're my boys and I still think it's weird! ha

Laura said...

So how are Monday mornings after a day filled with caffeine and sugar? Can't wait to have some pie with you this weekend. Can we run on Saturday? I'm getting back into running. Thanks for the inspiration.

HangerMom said...

I think a beautifully set, inviting table is becoming a lost art. My mother-in-law has a knack for that as well - the centerpiece and napkin rings. Let's try to keep that one alive, even if only in our small corner of the world :).

The marriage pie looks beautiful!

Oh, and my kids love coffee, too. But they only get it at grandma's house.