5.25.2010

pie everyday



Ahh.....pie. My favorite. I don't really care what kind it is, I love it all. Although I do have some kinds that I'm rather partial to!! Blueberry with lemon zest, apple of course, pecan, and peach.



I've had my mind on pie ever since last week. I was checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier picks up my wooden rolling pin that I'm about to purchase and says, "so.... do you make pies?" "I do." Was my answer. I had wanted to tell her of my aspirations of making one pie every day for the rest of my life....but I thought that might be a bit over the top. She proceeded to tell me how much she hates to make pies and how her pies NEVER turn out. I'm sorry.



My great grandma Elsa, my dad's grandmother, could make pies. "She made the BEST pecan pie," my dad has always said. I remember hearing that she would make a pie everyday. EVERYDAY! And even if that was stretching the truth, I often think what a lovely way to end the day, having pie every night before going to bed. And think of all the possibilities....



The first time I made a pie was the first year I was married. For Christmas Eve we always go over to TJ's grandparents house for dinner. I thought, "maybe I could make a pie?" Why not? I had just gotten a lovely Martha Stewart book on the art of entertaining. I found a recipe for an apple pie. It looked simple enough. One problem though, I didn't have a food processor which I apparently needed to make the dough for the crust. But, I did have a brand new Kitchen Aid Mixer! And so, I gave it a try.



I think I have made that Martha Stewart apple pie probably 50 times in the last nine years. (all using my Kitchen Aid Mixer!)



After having Thomas, I spent that first summer baking, a lot. I remember making my first blueberry pie.....oh.....my. I was so proud of myself! It even had lemon zest mixed in so you saw lovely bright yellow strips entwined with the dark blueberries. I tried my first peach pie and brought it in the car with me as I travelled to stay with a dear friend of mine. She was at her parents house. I was meeting her there for a few days. Little did I know that her dad's favorite pie was peach! I'm sure glad it turned out!



I've begun a tradition that each Thanksgiving, we bake extra pies and take them down to Matt Talbot Kitchen. I bring the kids with me, so they can see who these people are that are going to be eating them. And to help remind us of how much we have to be grateful for. This year we also brought two pies to the Pink Sisters for Thanksgiving. When one of the nuns opened the door and saw the pies wrapped in cellophane with a bow, I think she was speechless! They sent us a card in the mail thanking us for those pies. It thrills me to make a pie for someone, especially those holy Pink Sisters!



I got a book for myself and my children. It's called, "How to make an Apple Pie and See the World" by Marjorie Priceman. It's darling! It starts off by saying, "Making an apple pie is really very easy. First, get all the ingredients at the market. Mix them well, bake, and serve. Unless, of course, the market is closed...." It then goes on to say how you have to travel to a different country to get each of the ingredients....the apples, the cinnamon, the wheat to be milled into flour, and so on. It's cute.




I hope to pass on to my children a love for making pies.
I hope they will tell their friends when they are in high school, "my mom's pie is the BEST!"
And I hope to fulfill my aspiration of making one pie every day.

Oh, and you can bet that I will be wearing an apron too!

2 comments:

fullofgracex7 said...

I would really love for you to teach me how to make a pie. I know it sounds silly, because I feel like I'm a fairly accomplished baker. I am afraid of making a crust...I will look forward to a lesson sometime?! :)

Laura said...

Mmmmm...you've inspired me to make a pie this week. I think it will be cherry. I've had fresh picked cherries sitting in my freezer for some time. Don't know what I'm waiting for! Thanks for passing on your love of pies to me. And yes, I still use your pie crust recipe and always get compliments on it!